Saturday, October 15, 2011

October 15, 2011

Don left for the day, so David raced out to dig up the okra skeletons. Amazingly, they still had blossoms on the top of the stalks that were over 5' tall. Nature wants to succeed. Things want to grow. Flowers, vegetables. . .even children. My children are both grown now and have families of their own. I am amazed that I can still be hurt by the fact that I don't see them as often as I'd like. Especially my grand-daughters. When they visit their other grand-parents I always ask, why can't I see them, too? I am possessive, have trouble sharing. Kahil Gibran said "Your children are not your children. They are life's longing for itself." Well, he certainly got that right.
To take my mind off this, I head out to the almost non-existent garden to pick a few tomatoes. Here's what I came up with on the 15th of October!
Twenty-three pounds of tomatoes! The tomato plants themselves are threadbare and mostly just stalks standing inside their cages. But they are still producing. At the last, we will pick the green tomatoes and have fried green tomatoes and watch football and drink beer.
I planted three oriental poppies in my new flower garden. They came to me all carefully labelled. They better be right. In the past, I've purchased poppies that were in delicious sherbet shades, only to have them spring up wildly healthy and day-glo orange.
October 15th. 50 mile per hour winds outside. My sister is baking wild rice bread and I made cookies this morning. We baked a pumpkin and hope to have pumpkin pie soon. I love fall.

1 comment:

  1. I 'pinned' you on Pinterest! Your fall picture has now gone viral.

    ReplyDelete